The self-employed program in Canada is for individuals who intend and are able to become self-employed in Canada. The program allows people to immigrate permanently to Canada as a self-employed person.
Definition of Self-employed: (From CIC website)
Self-employed person means a foreign national who has relevant experience and has the intention and ability to be self-employed in Canada and to make a significant contribution to specified economic activities in Canada.
Eligibility (as per Canada.ca)
To immigrate as a self-employed person, you must:
- have relevant experience
- be willing and able to be self-employed in Canada
- meet the program’s selection criteria and
- meet medical, security and other conditions
Your experience is relevant if you have:
- taken part in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or
- been a self-employed person in cultural activities or athletics
Relevant experience for a self-employed person means at least two years of experience.
It must be during the period starting 5 years before the day you apply and ending on the day, we make a decision on your application.
Note: New applications under the farm management stream of the self-employed program will no longer be accepted.