Parents and Grandparents Program 2021 Will Accept Record Number of Applications.
On 20th July 2021, Marco E.L. Mendicino, the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, (IRCC) announced they will invite a record number of people to apply under the 2021 intake of the Parents and Grandparents (PGP) program. Since the global pandemic, family has been the at the utmost importance for the unity of the country and IRCC is giving families the chance to reunite in Canada by providing them with the opportunity to thrive in the country.
The program will accept 30,000 additional applications for 2021 and will send invitations to those who submitted forms in 2020. The random selection process will be the same.
When Will the Invitations for the PGP Be Sent Out?
Invitations will be sent over the next two weeks starting 20 September 2021. Those invited to apply will be able to use the new Permanent Resident Digital Intake tool, that allows applications to be submitted electronically. This tool was created as a way to modernize the immigration system and expediate the application process to prevent backlogs.
New PGP Income Minimize The Need.
The Government of Canada and IRCC continues to be more mindful of the financial struggles faced because of the pandemic in 2020 and is trying to implement more facilitative income requirements for more people to be eligible to apply. Applicants will not be penalized for losing income during the pandemic and will include minimum necessary income plus 30%, Employment Insurance benefits and Temporary COVID-19 Benefits (CERB).
If you are not invited to apply, do not worry! Parents and Grandparents can still visit for extended periods of times. They can also apply for a Super Visa which grants them the opportunity to stay in Canada for up to 2-years at a time.
PGP High Spot.
- Super Visas allows multiple entries for up to 10 years.
- Invitations will be sent starting the week of 20 September 2021 for 2-week. Those invited will need to submit the application within 60 days of invitation.
- Potential sponsors need to check the email account they used to submit their sponsor forms in 2020 to confirm if they have been selected or not. Potential sponsors can also check their status online by using their 2020 confirmation number.
- If you no longer have access to your email account, check the website for further details.
- If your confirmation number has been misplaced, it can be retrieved using the Lost My Confirmation Number tool that will be available on the week of 20 September 2021.
- If you are one of the selected potential sponsors, your income will be assessed for tax years 2018 – 2020. The same applies for those who applied in the 2020 sponsorship intake.